The area was first mentioned in a grant to Henry Sewell dated 1649 in London, England. On a map dated 1673, the region is largely depicted as being inhabited by woodland indians with a fort located near the town known as “Fort Warwick”. After colonization, some of the earliest family names were Adams, Anderton, Melville, Pattison, Rix, Smith, and Taylor. These families settled into basically four land grants known as Bath, York, Carthegena, and Warwick. Warwick was situated between what is currently the Town of Secretary and East New Market. This area was largely owned by the Hooper family. The next group of families to purchase land and build residences were the Daffin’s, Ennalls’, Gist’s, Hodson’s, Hicks’, McKeel’s, Newton’s, Sulivane’s and Thompson’s.
Many of these families were seeking religious freedom and economic gain through the purchase of property. It isn’t unusual for families to have owned real estate in this area, but never living in the area until later generations, if at all. In 1790 the village of “New Market” was starting to appear on maps.
A post office was established in 1803 and shortly thereafter “East” was added to the town’s name, renaming the town East New Market in 1827. The town was incorporated under the session laws of 1832, and a town commission was instituted, predating by many years the adoption of that form of small-town government by many other jurisdictions.
The town grew with the introduction of the railroad in the latter part of the 19th century. This allowed agriculture to gain economic strength within the county. It was during this time that religious and educational institutions became even more established through their reputations as centers of learning and worship.
Our walking tour will start at the crossroad of this crossroads town and we’ll go aways in every direction...
WALK EAST ON RAILROAD AVENUE.
14 Railroad Avenue
Once called “Maurice Manor,” Buckland is unusual for the area and period it was built in because it is a “saltbox” structure with an interior kitchen. The land was purchased by John Rix in 1744. Early records indicate a house had been built by 1742. It once sat at the center of a working plantation, which was then subdivided in the 1880’s. The interior is especially noted for its ornate carved plasterwork.
TURN AND WALK BACK TOWARDS TOWN CENTER.
John Arlington Baker House
12 Railroad Avenue
This stretch of Railroad Avenue features some of the more expansive houses in East New Market. John Baker moved one of those more modest homes off this lot and over to North Main Street so he could erect this large two-and-a-half story structure in the Queen Anne style in 1910. The well-built house has not been altered significantly in the century since.
TURN RIGHT ON NORTH MAIN STREET.
Zeller Funeral Home
106 Main Street
In 1905, in consideration of an annual $20 rent, Howard H. Willoughby entered into a 99-year lease at this location from Emma Helsby Smith & her husband James M. Smith. Earlier that year he had purchased a tradesman’s shop from Thomas D. Hooper that stood on the back of this lot. Willoughby built this funeral home at that time; he also crafted and sold furniture here. In 1916, he bought the property outright and it remained in the Willoughby family for 70 years.
Howard Willoughby House
110 Main Street
Built around 1880-1890, the two-story ell-shaped frame house is supported by a minimal brick foundation and largely covered with a layer of aluminum siding. The decorative fish-scale shingles that mark the gable end of the projecting bay have been left exposed. The garage in the rear was built before 1922; the old carpenter’s shop beside it was used for making coffins.
Mary Bramble House
107 Main Street
The Bramble house survives as one of a small collection of turn of the nineteenth-century frame houses in East New Market. Originally built around 1805 on the main intersection of town, the two-story frame house was relocated in 1889 when the corner site became more valuable as commercial space. Mary King Bramble owned the house, Victorianized after the move, for much of the 1800s.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
116 Main Street
Built in 1893, the single-story Gothic Revival frame church is supported by a continuous common bond brick foundation and sheathed with a uniform layer of aluminum siding. The steeply pitched gable roof is covered with asphalt shingles. Rising from the east gable end is a small gabled belfry. This is the third Episcopal church in East New Market, although it is the first on this particular site. The earliest mention of a church in town was 1794, and a second one was built in 1805, although very little is known about either building.
TURN AND WALK SOUTH ON MAIN STREET, TOWARDS TOWN CENTER.
43 Main Street
In 1914, the Chesadel Hotel was destroyed by a devastating fire that consumed many nearby structures. Shortly after the East New Market Realty Company purchased the lot in 1915, the Realty Building was constructed. The Realty Building has been owned by the Choptank Lodge of the Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons for 65 years. It has been the site of a real estate office, a post office, drug store, Masonic temple, public hall, and several other stores and commercial ventures.
34 Main Street
Once known as the “House of the Hinges,” the “Brick Hotel,” and as recently as the 1920’s - the “East New Market Hotel;” Colonel Joseph Daffin, a merchant, built the house between 1796 and 1798. He and his wife both died in 1798. It also belonged to Major Anthony Manning “an officer of the War of 1812.” There are many fine period architectural details still in existence. The structure got its interesting name “House of the Hinges” because of an unusual set of hinges found on a meat house at the rear of the building. The house boasts a 1 ｽ story “kitchen wing.”
Charles Webster House
31 Main Street
In 1790, Francis Elliott built the original house on the north 1 acre part of this lot. Charles Webster either moved or destroyed this house between 1900 and 1910. Sometime before 1812, John Mackey likely built the original house on the south 1/2 acre part of this lot. Wilber F. Newton moved or destroyed this house between 1876 and 1896. Charles Webster built the current house on the combined lot between 1900 and 1910.
New Market House
30 Main Street
The south part of this lot was bought by Elizabeth Hodson in 1804 for 105 pounds. Unusual for its yellow brick construction, the New Market house was built in the late 18th century, with additions beginning as early as the 1820’s. It is also known as the Atkinson House after the family who owned it from 1861 to 1880.
9 Main Street
Edmondson House was built in the Post Revolutionary period, circa 1780, by the Sulivane family. Son of an officer of Britain’s King James II, who came to America in 1695; Daniel Sulivane served in the Maryland Assembly. His son James helped organize a local regiment of the colonial army called the New Market Blues. After the Treaty of Paris in 1783, he took out a patent for 911 acres of land which he called New Market. The house includes a ballroom with tall slender windows and an ornate original mantel piece over the fire place. It was sold to the Edmondson Family who were descended from one of the original settlers of the town. The Quaker John Edmondson was known to have lived in the area as early as 1660. Across the street is Smith Cottage, which was also built by the Sulivanes.
12 Main Street
This Sulivanes also built this house, around 1825-1840. “Smith Cottage” is a well preserved story-and-a-half frame house that distinguishes the center of the East New Market historic district. Undisturbed layers of plain weatherboards, corbeled brick chimneys, gabled dormers, and Greek Revival woodwork distinguish this hall/parlor plan house.
Trinity United Methodist Church
2 Cambridge Avenue
With its prominent location at the south end of town within the fork of the roads, the church serves as an important visual anchor. The broach spire is also the tallest structure in East New Market and it serves as an important architecture landmark for several miles. Aside from a layer of aluminum siding, the exterior and interior fabric remains well preserved, and the various features offer an interesting blend of Greek Revival and Gothic Revival design. The interior is largely reflective of a major 1904 remodeling of the 1848 building. Pressed metal sheeting was added to the walls and ceiling above decorative wainscoting.
TURN AND WALK BACK TOWARDS TOWN CENTER. TURN LEFT ON ACADEMY STREET.
Old Trading Post
10 Academy Street
The “Trading Post” is a rare structure among commercial buildings on the Eastern Shore. The single-story rectangular frame store follows the gable-front orientation common to nineteenth-century commercial buildings, but the beaded tie beams and beaded horizontal board walls are unusual survivals for Eastern Shore store interiors. In its third location, this story-and-a-half structure was long believed to have been used to conduct trade with Indians and to have been built from scraps from the finer homes as an afterthought. Research now indicates that the structure was probably standing in the 1840’s and used as a store by a merchant named Medford.
14 Academy Street
The Abdell house, located in the center of East New Market, is an important early twentieth-century dwelling. Aside from the relocated “Trading Post” building, the Abdell house is the first dwelling that defines the south side of Academy Street nearest the main intersection of town. The large ell-shaped frame house, erected in 1903, is distinguished by a modillioned cornice that not only trims the main house but the porch and gabled dormer as well.
22 Academy Street
This little one-and-one-half story frame building, often called the Old Baptist Parsonage, was standing in 1783 and is perhaps older. Certainly its massive exposed chimney in the rear seems to suggest and early date for the house. It stands on one of the original land grants in the area, Westward, patented in 1680. “Anderton’s Desire” is one of the most significant small houses still standing in East New Market. Built during the years surrounding the turn of the nineteenth century, the story-and-a-half frame house retains a beaded weatherboard exterior and its hyphenated service wing. The two-room plan main block remains well preserved inside with a large percentage of its original Federal style woodwork.
First Baptist Church
23 Academy Street
It was on October 14, 1885, that the first frame church was dedicated by the Baptists of East New Market. Those who put up that first church building were unaware that an underground stream ran beneath there. In time the walls began to spread apart and in 1923 the present brick and masonry structure was built. Inside the church, steel rods tie the walls together so there is little danger that the building will be undermined.
TURN AND WALK BACK TOWARDS TOWN CENTER TO RETURN TO THE TOUR STARTING POINT.