During the 1800s Galveston was a booming port city rivaled only by New Orleans on the Gulf of Mexico. it was the most sophisticated city in Texas; the first to get telephone lines, the first to get gaslights, the first to get electric lights. As many as 18 newspapers battled to bring residents the latest news of the world.
Everything changed on September 8, 1900 when the storm surge from hurricane winds swamped the city. An estimated 6,000 people perished and the Galveston storm remains the deadliest disaster in American history. The city rebuilt, including a protective seawall, but never really recovered. While the population of Houston grew by many hundreds of thousands 100 years later Galveston was home to less than 60,000 people, scarcely more than lived on the island prior to the flood.
All the better for those who live in the graceful old homes of the East End Historical District, comprised of over 50 blocks that was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and designated a National Historic Landmark. The architecture of the tree-lined streets reflects a variety of styles and periods, the earliest being examples of Greek Revival style built during the 1850’s. Early residents represented an economic and social cross-section of the community, also expressed in the dwellings which range from small, simple cottages to large, elaborate houses.
Our walking tour will start at 1114 Broadway Street, the divided boulevard that bisects the island and is the principle artery between the mainland and the Galveston beaches...
THE FIRST HISTORIC HOME IS ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE STREET AND YOU WILL BEGIN BY WALKING WEST, UP BROADWAY...
Captain Joseph Boddecker Home
After the 1900 Storm, this modest early 1890s home was moved to this location to serve the Boddeckers, the family of a sea captain.
This turn-of-the-century home features Palladian styling on the dormer window and large open porches.
G.P. Lykes Home
This French Empire-style home, boasting a notable Mansard roof was moved here in 1908.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Broadway & 14th
Jesuit fathers welded Gothic and Moorish elements to craft this house of worship in 1903. Celebrated Gothic architect Nicholas J. Clayton added the done in 1915.
Another Nicholas J.Clayton creation, this town showpiece was created for Walter Gresham, a lawyer who settled in Galveston in 1866. Claytontapped a French medieval style and adorned the home with towers and turrets and decorated in cast iron. Now open as a house museum, the "palace" was built with pink and blue Texas granite, white limestone, and red sandstone, the home is operated as a house museum.
Powhatan S. Wren Home
Contractor R.B. Garnett performed renovations on this home in 1885 for Powhatan S, Wren, a native Virginian who arrived in Galveston in 1866 after shouldering his musket for the Southern cause for four ears in the Civil War. he worked for the railroad until 1875 and was appointed as the clerk of the City of Galveston. Wren left Texas for Arizona in 1900 after the hurricane.
The first Lucas Terrace was ripped apart in the 1900 Storm. Thomas Lucas, a bricklayer, salvaged what he could from the wreckage and took six years to build again, using a “strictly modern English design.” The window boxes and the serpentine staircases that frame the house are particularly eye-catching.
Carl C. Biehl Home
This house from 1916 features a glass-faced loggia designed by architect Anton E. Korn, Jr.
St. Paul M.E. Church
The best thing about this 1903 church is its stained glass windows
Issac H. Kempner Home
Architect Charles Bulger created this Neoclassical-flavored house in 1906.
Archibald R. Campbell Home
This Victorian-era house from the 1870s sports slender columns, arches and fanciful gingerbread trim. It is the handiwork of the local firm ofScarfenberg and Losengard.
Jules Damiani Home
This house dates to 1921.
Sally Trueheart Williams Home
This house dates to 1928.
J.C. League Home
John C. League was one of the largest landowners in Galveston County. As a civic leader he was elected seven times to the Galveston School Board and was a member of the Galveston Deep Water Commission. He hiredNicholas J. Clayton to design this exuberant Victorian in the early 1890s
This house has its origins with John Adriance, who was born in Troy, New York in 1818. He emigrated to Texas in 1835 for health reasons and wound up participating in the Texas Revolution. Adriance was a prosperous early merchant, helping to establish Texas cotton in the world market. As a state legislator he was influential in the development of Texas A & M University, Prairie View College and the University of Texas. The current appearance, with its mixture of styles, dates to 1914.
J.Z.H. Scott Home
J.Z.H. Scott was a prominent local lawyer and Galveston’s first City Attorney. His first house at this location burned in the 1885 Galveston fire. He bought this Nicholas Clayton-designed cottage from Walter Gresham and moved it to this location.
Thomas E. Bailey Home
This house dates to 1893.
J.J. Schott Cottage
Justus Julius Schott, a 21-year old German immigrant, opened a drugstore in Galveston on December 17, 1867. Two years later he developed a chewing gum from imported chicle which he sold throughout the country. He abandoned the business after encountering legal woes. In 1885 he began distributing a popular carbonated beverage called Moxie which made him one of the town's leading manufacturers. Schott constructed this home in 1889.
THE RIGHT ON 19TH STREET AND RIGHT AGAIN ON SEALY STREET.
This expansive Carpenter Gothic house was constructed by prominent merchant Jacob Sonnentheil in 1887 on plans drawn most likely drawn by Nicholas J. Clayton. The exquisite woodworking includes distinctive balustrades. Sonnentheil lived here until his death in 1908 when he was 67 years old; his wife Sallie left for New york City two years later.
This building began life as a rooming house prior to 1899.
M. Wansker Home
This house dates to 1907.
Joseph Goldstein Home
This vernacular house from 1898 is credited to architect George B. Stowe.
Another George B. Stowe creation, this 1897 house is dominated by a double front gallery.
Max Maas Home
Samuel Maas emigrated to Texas in 1836 and operated a pioneering ship chandlery business among other mercantile pursuits. His son Max constructed this house in 1886 from cypress boards where he and his wife Sarah raised nine children. Max Maas was the tax collector of Galveston County following the 1900 hurricane and his efforts helped to finance the building of the town's protective seawall. The house is decorated with Texas Star emblems.
This sprawling Victorian house was constructed with double brick walls in 1895, Its sturdy fabrication withstood the 1900 storm surge and served as a refuge for neighbors. Captain Charles Clarke, a major player in the shipping industry constructed the house. It was purchased in 1928 by grain importer Julius W. Jockusch, who descended from a pioneer Texas family.
This house was owned by A.L. Pierson, a clothing manufacturer whose factory was the first in Texas to utilize automatic production machinery. The house was constructed in 1896 by a harbor pilot who guided ships into Galveston.
John C. Trube Home
Alfred Muller was born in Prussia in 1855 and was trained as an architect at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin. After sailing to the United States he made his way to Galveston in 1886 where he won a design competition to build City Hall two years later. He went on the design many houses in two before dying of typhoid fever in 1896. The Trube house was cobbled together between 1889 and 1894 with a combination of architectural styles that have led it to be described as “the strangest house in a city of strange houses.” The bricks are slathered with stucco and scored to resemble stone. The mansard roof is punctuated with nine gables and dressed in gray slate.
Henry Hackbarth Home
Cotton merchant Henry Hackbarth erected this textbook Craftsman-style residence in 1916.
Morris Stern Home
902 16th Street
Wholesale grocer Morris Stern, long-time president of the South Texas Wholesale Grocers, built this Neoclassical style house in 1908, dominated by paired Corinthian columns.
Thomas Thompson Home
Thomas Thompson, a Galveston druggist, built the core of this house in 1875. Additions to the Southern town home came along for much of the next decade. Look up to see splendid cobalt and cranberry glass windows that decorate the addition to the west.
J.H. Ruhl Home
J.H. Ruhl, a physician, constructed this home with a double gallery in 1874. Look up to see decorative bracketing and a diminutive pediment over the center of the porch.
Thomas Chubb was born into a Massachusetts shipping family in 1811. After service in the United States Navy he came to Galveston in 1836 to take a commission as admiral of the Texas Navy. In 1859 he constructed this "Flat Roof House," as it was known. During the Civil War he commanded a two-masted schooner to guard the harbor entrance when Galveston was blockaded by the Union fleet. Chubb began duty as harbormaster in Galveston when he was 71 years old and continued in the role until his death four years later in 1886.
The Diocese of Galveston used this Mission-style building as its Chancery Office after its construction in 1924.
August J. Henck Cottage
August Jacob Henck, a busy real estate broker and builder, constructed this ornate Victorian residence early in his career in 1893 when he was 24 years old. Stained glass windows adorn the bay window.
William C. Skinner House
This Queen Anne style house was built in 1895 for the William C. Skinner family. The lacy iron fence around the yard is original.
Lemuel C. Burr Home
Nicholas Clayton blended classical and Gothic influences for this Victorian home in 1876. It is festooned with intricate woodwork - painted brackets with ball finials, hooded windows and the Texas Star applied to the millwork.
Joseph A. Robertson Home
The outstanding feature of this roomy Victorian from 1894 is its "Widows Walk" on the roof, a feature added to seaside homes for anxious wives to look out at the Gulf for their seafaring husbands.
1205, 1209, 1211 Sealy
This trio of homes, built around 1879, are survivors of the 1900 hurricane.
Henry W. Rhodes Home
In 1844 Colonel E.A. Rhodes was appointed United States Consul to Texas and relocated his family from North Carolina. His grandson Henry Rhodes became the third generation of lawyers in the family when he formed a partnership in the law firm of Wheeler and Rhodes. He oversaw the construction of this Victorian folk house in 1877.
Alexander Allen House
Alexander Allen set up the first marble yard in Texas in 1852. He went into business with Charles S. Ott in the Ott Monument Works, a business still extant in Galveston; now in its fifth generation. Allen erected this modest Greek Revival home in 1875.
This was the home of Sarah E. Bennett who was the daughter of Alexander Allen; it was raised in 1887.
This house, built in 1879, was jacked higher after the 1900 hurricane. Porches were added at that time.
Charles Drouet Cottage
Charles Drouet ran a busy salvage operation after the storm of 1900. He built this low-slung cottage in 1903.
TURN LEFT ON 10TH STREET AND LEFT AGAIN ON BALL STREET.
Hamilton West Home
Dr. Hamilton West, a key player in the forming of the Medical Department of the University of Texas and the first professor of clinical medicine at the University of Texas Medical School, built this home in 1882.
This is another Nicholas J. Clayton creation, erected in 1875. It originally stood at the corner of Ball and 13th streets but was moved here to make way for a grander house raised on plans by Clayton. Moving houses was much more common in the 19th century than it is today. Back before indoor plumbing and electricity it was a much simpler matter to move houses around town.
Gracey W. Bell Cottage
This house, with prominent bay windows, dates to 1881.
This was the site of the mansion of George Seeligson, a Greek Revival-influenced residence erected in 1875. His father Michael was born in Holland and came to Galveston in 1838 and was elected mayor in 1853. George, a merchant, was born in 1841. The organizational meeting of the George Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was held on June 17, 1895. The home was demolished in 1931.
John M. Allardyce Home
This one and a half story cottage, built by a shipyard worker in 1858, was typical of worker's homes in 19th century Galveston.
W.H. Griffin, son of a Texas Confederate commander, erected this house in 1886.
Axel F. Roempke House
1316 Ball,, 1894
Axel F. Roempke, who worked as a cashier for the Beers & Kenison insurance company, built this house for his bride in 1894. It was one of the first in town constructed with gas lighting and heating. Look up to see acorn drop pendants on the small double gallery.
1320 Ball,, 1894
Frederich was W.J., a banker, and Erhard was Frederich, a printer. W.J. built the Victorian cottage and sold it the Frederich in 1909.
Charles Hurley Home
This splendid Greek Revival residence was constructed in 1868 by the 31-year old builder of the Galveston, Pecos and Colorado Railroad. Hurley had been a Houston resident until the previous year when he came to Galveston to work in the steamship business. Hurley was also involved with a narrow gauge railroad called the Corpus Christi, San Diego and Rio Grande. Hurley suffered from Brights Disease and died of a hemorrhage in 1887 on a business trip to Louisville, Kentucky.
Mrs. George Fox Home
This house dates to 1908.
James M. Lykes Home
This house dates to 1908.
M.W. Shaw House
This house from 1900 was one of the few brick homes built in Galveston during this period; it features eight fireplaces. Shaw was one of the first jewelers in Texas and vice president of the Galveston Trust and Safe Deposit Company.
15th & Ball
This open space features a fountain to "water man and beast" that was donated by Henry Rosenberg, one of the town's earliest philanthropists. It originally was located at 6th and Broadway before being moved here. Rosenberg was born in Switzerland in 1824. He followed a friend to Galveston in 1843 and worked in a dry goods store. By 1859 he had bought up full interest in the operation and built it into the state's leading dry goods store. Rosenberg eventually became a banker and president of the Galveston City Railroad Company. After he died in 1893 Rosenberg's will provided funds for the first free library in Texas and many civic institutions, including seventeen drinking fountains.
W.B. Lockhart married into the family of Colonel Walter Gresham and later became a county judge. The house began life as a one-story cottage in 1890 and the upper story came along in 1900.
This house, sporting a leaded glass door, transom and sidelights, dates to 1897.
802 16th Street
George Ball was born in Saratoga, New York in 1817. He and his brother Albert came to Texas in 1839 and started a dry goods business. By 1847 he was a director of the Commercial and Agricultural Bank at Galveston, the first bank incorporated in Texas. In 1854 he started his own banking house, Ball, Hutchings, and Company. This house was built the year he died, in 1884, and was used by his widow as rental property. It received a makeover in 1892 by Nicholas Clayton.
Howard & Kate Mather Home
This 1887 house takes its inspiration from a Swiss chalet and features a half-timbered gable and trefoil decorated vergeboards.
Joel B. Wolfe Home
The stylized flowers in this two-gallery Victorian showcase from 1894 gives the house its name "Maison des Fleurs."
George Trapp Home
This house dates to 1886.
Frederick Beissner Home
The corner entrance adds interest to this multi-gabled house from 1887. Frederick Beissner owned a lumber business, which gave him a leg up on materials for the elaborate woodwork here.
1709, 1711, 1715, 1721 Ball
Although these homes from around 1894 are different in size and rooflines they sport identical jigsaw woodworking and arches.
W.C. Ogelivy Home
W.C. Ogelivy's job as superintendent of the Southern Cotton Press afforded him this fine double gallery home in 1888. An intricate frieze decorates the gallery.
This house dates to 1890.
Maude J.H. Moller Home
This house is an 1895 creation.
TURN RIGHT ON 19TH STREET AND RIGHT AGAIN ON WINNIE STREET.
1821 & 1823 Winnie
These high-raised houses were built in 1893 by H.M. Trueheart as tenant houses.
This house dates to 1903.
John Parker Davie Cottage
John Parker Davie was a big-time hardware merchant in Galveston who also built the landmark Cosmopolitan Hotel. This house with double-curved porch was erected in 1891, a year before Davie's death. His estate endowed a prestigious scholarship at Galveston College.
A. Wilkins Miller Cottage
A. Wilkins Miller was as responsible as anyone for the development of the timber industry in southeast Texas. His Miller & Vidor Lumber Company grew into one of the largest in Texas. Local contractor R.B. Garnett executed the elaborate sawn brackets, stained glass, and bay windows on this 1895 cottage. It remained the Miller home until 1912.
Charles Vidor was a refugee from the Hungarian Revolution of 1848 and settled in Galveston shortly afterwards. His son built this house in 1899 and was the childhood home of King Wallis Vidor one of Hollywood's pioneering screenwriters and directors. In a career that stretched from 1913 until the early 1980s Vidor was nominated five times for a Best Director Academy Award.
This ornate Victorian from 1886 is notable for its double-curved porch roofs and dish-scale siding.
1606 & 1608 Winnie
Two identical two-story homes with double-galleries squeezed onto this one building lot.
This house dates to 1894.
This house dates to 1892.
This 1874 house was constructed as tenant property for jeweler M. W. Shaw.
This house dates to 1880.
This house dates to 1884.
Michel B. Menard was born in Canada near Montreal in 1805 and found employment as a youth with the Astor Fur Trading Company. Menard worked his way to Nacogodoches in the 1830s and began speculating in Texas land, acquiring it through Juan Sequin, a Mexican citizen as land was only sold o Mexicans at the time. Menard formed the Galveston City Company which sold the land to build the city. Menard's two-story Greek Revival home is the oldest in Galveston. This double dormer cottage with a five-bay gallery was bought in 1881 by Medard Menard, Michel's nephew.
F.M. Spencer Home
This two-story Greek Revival home with a double gallery was the home of F.M. Spencer, a Galveston lawyer. The current appearance dates to a 1910 facelift.
TURN LEFT ON 10TH STREET AND LEFT AGAIN ON CHURCH STREET.
This house dates to 1900.
William S. Carruthers Home
526 11th Street
This 1876 structure was the home of William S. Carruthers, an early Galveston dentist and the first president of the Texas State Dental Association.
This house from 1892 boasts a Texas Star on its bay gable.
Alexander B. Everett Home
This stylish house with an upper vaulted gallery ceiling and polygonal bay window inside a cast iron fence was raised in 1881 as the residence of Alexander B. Everett, a warden of the port of Galveston for ten years.
Thomas W. Dealy Cottage
This Greek Revival house from pre-Civil War days was elevated into its current position after the 1900 hurricane. Thomas W. Dealy of the The Galveston Daily News, lived here.
Joseph Ricke Cottage
This Antebellum cottage from the 1850s demonstrates the simple Classical Revival style favored by German pioneers on Galveston. Many, like this one, picked up additions during its lifetime.
Ferdinand Miller, a wagonman, raised this house in 1867. Later Barbara Jacobs, a mid-wife who delivered over 2,000 babies in Galveston, made this her home.
Rufus Jameson Home
This house dates to 1882.
15th & Church
This open space carries the name of J.L. Darragh who was president of the Galveston Wharf Company. Darragh lived in an Alfred Muller-designed mansion here. The only traces of the former Darragh estate is the restored cast iron fence and stuccoed brick wall surrounding the park.
Wilbur F. Cherry Home
A fire that erupted in the Vulcan Foundry on Avenue A between 16th and 17th Streets in 1885 raged out of control until it destroyed a 40-block area. This Greek Revival house, dating to the early 1850s, was the only building left standing on this block. It was the home of Wilbur F. Cherry, an owner of the Daily News.
This early 1900s home is distinguished by its unusual woodworking.
Maude Moller Home
This 1895 Victorian building is an example of 19th century Galveston tenant property.
N. Grumbach Home
The Grumbachs were a retailing family, first with Feliman, Grumbach & Harris in Galveston and then in the firm's Dallas store. This house was built in 1887.
Charles C. Allen Home
Charles C. Allen, a local politician and railroad man in Galveston before moving on to Fort Worth, constructed this house in 1898.
William Meininger Home
George B. Stowe designed this striking Queen Anne residence in 1896 for William Meininger, a commission merchant and wholesale produce dealer. It still retains original stained glass windows and pocket doors.
Thomas Goggans Home
Nicholas J. Clayton created this wooden two-story home with its soaring central gable in 1886. The client was Thomas Goggans, founder of one of the earliest firms to import pianos and organs.
TURN RIGHT ON 19TH STREET AND RIGHT AGAIN ON POSTOFFICE STREET.
Theodore Ohmstede Home
This 1886 home of German immigrants Theodore and Eleanora Ohmstede has survived stints as a dollhouse to emerge as a bed-and-breakfast. Victorian fish-scale shingles hang on the projecting bay.
1802 and 1808 Postoffice
These homes from 1887 were built as rentals carry a high-grade architectural pedigree. Albert Rakel was the moneyman and Alfred Muller performed the design work.
This house dates to 1891.
John D. Hodson Home
This impressive 1905 creation by George B. Stowe spans the architectural eras between Victorian and Craftsman. The homeowner was John D. hodson, a British immigrant who became a partner in the insurance business of Beers, Kenison & Company. The two-story house was constructed of brick and covered in white stucco; mahogany imported from the Phillipines was used to create the signature staircase inside.
Isaac Heffron Home
511 17th Street
Isaac Heffron, who was born in Wales in 1853, made his money manufacturing cement. Architect Charles W. Bulger designed this Italian villa in 1899. The walls and gates are original.
Rudolph Kruger Home
Rudolph Kruger ran a popular Galveston eatery; he retained architect Nicholas J. Clayton in 1888 to design his home. Clayton delivered this beautifully proportioned three-bay, two-story house.
Henry A. Landes had this palatial residence constructed in 1886 after the Fire of 1885 destroyed his previous home. Landes, who was a wholesale grocer, cotton factor, ship owner and importer, did a stint as mayor. In 1909, John McDonough, owner of McDonough Iron Works, purchased the property.
Ernest Stavenhagen Home
Ernest Stavenhagen was a veteran of the Confederate army when he came to Galveston in the 1870s to work as a wholesale grocer. He was almost 70 years old when he oversaw construction of this Neoclassical frame house in 1915. The house stands behind a double-galleried entry portico with boxed columns that carry bulls-eye detailing where one normal expects a capital. Stavenhagen lived the final five years in this house which stayed in the family until 1948.
Edmund J. Cordray House
Edmund J. Cordray had a career as a pharmacist that spanned more than a half-century in Galveston until his death in 1965. This house was built in 1914.
East End Cottage
Now the community center for the East End Historical District Association this 1896 cottage original stood at 6th and Market streets before being moved here.
William Weber Home
This house dates to 1876.
Gustav Reymershoffer Home
Brothers Gustav and John Reymershoffer, Jr. organized the Texas Star Flour Mills, which became one of the South's most successful businesses with sales across Europe and Latin America. Both brothers became city aldermen. Gustav erected this house in 1887 with exquisite jigsaw work and a checkered red and gray cement block sidewalk. Look up to see "G. Reymershoffer" emblazoned on the iron gate. Gustav Reymershoffer died in 1903, expiring as he sat in a rocking chair reading a newspaper. He was 56 years old.
Twin window dormers mark this house from 1873.
Purity Ice Cream Factory
Purity Ice Cream manufactured the first frozen treats in Texas, opening here back in 1889. The business was either founded by Jerry Sullivan and Ben Willis and sold early on to the Brynston family or was started by the Brynston family. The factory here churned out 5,000 gallons of ice cream per month here in 18 flavors. Ice cream would be taken around town in horse-drawn wagons. Purity Ice Cream Co. operated for nearly a century before shutting its doors in 1979.
Druggist H.C.L. Ashoff, began this structure in 1859 and finished it after the Civil War ended. He then built the houses at 1114, 1118 and 1120 Postoffice (Three Sister’s Houses) for three of his daughters.
This 1865 house was reported to have been moved to this address by barge from Sabine Pass after the 1900 Storm.
TURN LEFT ON 11TH STREET AND LEFT AGAIN ON MARKET STREET.
Frederick Martini Cottage
This modest abode was constructed in 1871 for Frederick Martini, a bookkeeper.
Louis Runge Home
southwest corner 13th & Market
Louis Runge, from a prominent banking family, retained the New York architectural firm of Crow, Lewis & Wickenhoefer to build a new home for his wife Anita and five children in 1916. The New Yorkers blended French, Italian and Spanish styles into the eclectic Mediterranean style design for the residence. Runge served personally as the contractor on the building of the house.
Henry Rosenberg Home
This was the house of wealthy merchant and land investor Henry Rosenberg, raised in the manner of a Southern plantation home in 1859. Many of the materials used in construction were imported from Rosenberg's native Switzerland. Each of the eight fireplaces was formed with marble.
W.F. Breath Home
The Victorian Stick Style was employed on this 1886 house built for W.F. Breath who bought shoes forthe P.J. Willis & Brothers store in Galveston. Later it was the home of the first professor of anatomy at the University of Texas Medical School, Dr.William Keiler.
I. Lovenberg Home
This Gothic Revival house is another design of Nicholas Clayton, from 1877. It features a pointed arch on the open gable end of the upper gallery. I. Lovenberg served on the Galveston School Board for 17 ears and was president of the Galveston Orphans' Home.
John Hanna Home
John Hanna, owner of the city’s second oldest real estate firm, moved his family into this asymmetrical Queen Anne style home in the early 1890s. His son, who suffered from scarlet fever that caued deafness, won fame as a sailboat designer, particularly his 30-foot deep sea cruising Tahiti ketch.
Peter Gengler Home
This elegant double gallery home was designed by Nicholas Clayton in 1885 for Peter Gengler. In 1851 Gengler opened one the first retail grocery shops in Texas.
Edward T. Austin Home
The core of this historic house was raised in the 1860s but was expanded substantially when Edward Tailor Austin, a cousin of Texas founder Stephen F. Austin, purchased the property in 1871. Builder D. Moffat infused the Greek Revival house with jigsawn Victorian elements. The Austins called their home Oak Lawn for all the live oaks that grew on the property.
George Washington Grover was born on the shores of Lake Ontario in Sacketts Harbor, New York in 1819. He came to the Republic of Texas in 1839 and took part in the failed Texan Santa Fe Expedition to annex New Mexico. Grover was taken prisoner and marched to Mexico City. After making his way back to the United States Grover took part in the California gold rush. He eventually returned to Galveston, established a mercantile operation and erected this brick house in 1859. Grover became involved in local politics and remained in Galveston until his death in 1901.
TURN LEFT ON 16TH STREET AND RETURN TO BROADWAY AND THE START OF THE TOUR.