Johnstown is best known for the flood that decimated the town on May 31, 1889 that killed 2,209 people in one of the country’s greatest calamities. What is lesser known is that Johnstown has been visited twice more by great, rampaging waters - a flood in 1936 that caused significantly more property damage and in 1977 when relentless rains brought five times as much - 128 million gallons - water into the city.
Around the floods Johnstown was a prosperous and hard-working mill town. The Pennsylvania Canal reached Johnstown in 1830 and the Pennsylvania Railroad arrived in 1854, two years after the Cambria Iron Company was founded in the Conemaugh Valley. The Cambria Iron Company of Johnstown was the greatest of the early modern iron and steel works, a forerunner of Bethlehem Steel Company and the United States Steel Corporation. It was the site of several major technological innovations that were copied throughout the world, including early use of the Bessemer process for refining steel and many new methods of heating, handling and rolling steel.
As Cambria became one of the nation’s largest iron and steel producers it employed as many as 7,000 workers. The wealth spilled into Johnstown - by 1901 there were enough shoppers to support 11 department stores in the downtown area. The most modern buildings of the day, many that still line the Johnstown streets, were erected to replace ones destroyed in the Great Flood of 1889.
Those streets look remarkably what founder Joseph Schantz (Johns), envisioned when he plotted and planned the first permanent settlement in 1800. An Amish farmer, Schantz arrived in Philadelphia from Switzerland in 1769 and set his sights westward. During his life-time he used the name “Schantz” (Johns) on most of his land deeds and “Jantzin” (Johnson) in his family Bible records. In 1793 Johns bought a tract of land between the Conemaugh and Stonycreek rivers, built a cabin, cleared some land and began to farm.
Anticipating the creation of a new county (Cambria County in 1804), Joseph Johns hoped that his land would be chosen as the county seat. With this in mind, he laid out the first village lots and streets in 1800. He called his settlement “Conemaugh Old Town.”
Our walking tour historic downtown Johnstown will begin in Central Park, a greenspace that remains the same public space as it was in 1800 when it was so designated by town founder Joseph Johns...
bounded by Main Street, Franklin Street, Locust Street and Gazebo Park
An important physical feature defining the downtown’s commercial character is the urban street grid, following the 1800 plan of founder Joseph Johns. The city’s basic street and alley plan, and several public spaces set aside by Johns, have remained intact for nearly 200 years. Market Square, at the intersection of Main and Market Streets,retains three of four original comer parklets. The Public Square, Main and Franklin Streets, is now the site of Central Park. By the mid-19th century, a firehouse, butcher shop, jailhouse,and a large market stood here on the public square. During the Civil War, soldiers used Central Park as a drill field. Children came with their parents to see circuses or watch the town’s two baseball teams, the “Kickenapawlings” and “Iron Club,” practice. In 1872, the grounds were cleared of all buildings and laid out as a formal park. There was an ornate water fountain in the center. Nearly 100 planted trees offered shade in the summer. The years of landscaping were wiped out in seconds by the flood wave. When the waters receded, debris 10 to 15 feet high filled the park. Within four days the wreckage was cleared to make room for tents that would house the 14th Regiment from Pittsburgh. After the troops departed, the park was lined with temporary wooden stores for about a year. he square was finally restored as a park, and new trees were planted. The original dimensions of the Johns Plan were re-instituted following the 1889 flood. This statute of Joseph Johns was erected in Central Park by residents of German descent in 1937.
WALK TO THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF CENTRAL PARK AT THE CORNER OF MAIN STREET AND GAZEBO PARK.
423 Main Street
This four-story building was designed by popular local architect George Wild for the Knights of Pythias, and completed in 1914. The Garden Theater (later Park) occupied the first floor and upper floors were used for offices. The Park Building features a patterned facade in light mortar, dark brick and light stone. The building features tile mosaics, Doric pilasters and a circular terra cotta tile medallion at the upper center.
WALK EAST ON MAIN STREET ACROSS CENTRAL PARK.
Nathan’s Department Store
430 Main Street
Now known as Central Park Commons, this four-story store was built as Nathan’s Department Store in 1917. Family-owned and operated, Nathan’s had been operating in Johnstown since the late 1880s. The Early Modern design features brick exterior walls, Chicago-style windows, a classically styled cornice and one of the few remaining examples of glazed architectural terra cotta work on a large scale in the Johnstown area. Nathan’s Department Store went out of business in the 1929 and the building was leased to the S. S. Kresge Company fordecades. The Central Park Commons building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
442 Main Street
The International Order of Odd Fellows built Johnstown’s tallest building in 1884. This four-story Queen Anne-style brick building features incised artwork on inset stone blocks, elliptical brick arches, and corbelled brickwork. Office space was rented out on the first and second floors. The third and fourth floors contained meeting halls. It remains the headquarters for Alma Lodge 523 today. Shielded by the Methodist Episcopal Church, it survived the flood wave in 1889 and gave refuge to 264 people during the night of May 31. Two babies were born on the upper floors of Alma Hall that night with 18 feet of water crushing the walls of the building.
AmeriServ Bank Building
southwest corner of Main and Franklin streets
The older 10-story United State Bank Building to the rear was constructed in 1910; the modern addition in the Brutalist style sits heavily on the corner.
TURN RIGHT ON FRANKLIN STREET.
Original Johnstown Tribune Building
209 Franklin Street
This commercial building was built in 1883 as the home of the Johnstown Tribune, a newspaper that had begun in 1853 as the weekly Cambria Tribune. It went daily in 1873, then known as the Johnstown Tribune. The rear wall of the print shop collapsed during the flood but the building survived. And so did the paper. In 1952 it merged with a competing daily, the Johnstown Democrat, a paper that traced its roots back to 1863, to form today’s Tribune-Democrat.
211 Franklin Street
Next door is another survivor of the Johnstown Flood of 1889. The Gothic Revival building was originally the Moses Tailor Shop when it was built in 1884. It has a fleur de lis incised in stone and an elliptical arch.
TURN LEFT ON VINE STREET.
Schrader’s Florist Shop
510 Vine Street
This is Johnstown’s most decorative Second Empire style building, built in 1890. It features a slate mansard roof, stained glass windows and two small second-story corner porches.
TURN AND WALK WEST ON VINE STREET.
301 Franklin Street at Vine Street
Built around 1900, the Conrad Building is a triangular-shaped office building in the Romanesque style. Its features include a massive cornice, open round arches framing the doorways and windows, brick arcading over the upper floor windows and decoratively patterned brickwork. After years of neglectthe building was scheduled to undergo a million dollar renovation in 2008.
Franklin Street Bridge
Franklin Street, at Vine Street
This 230-foot metal truss bridge, one of many in Johnstown, was built in 1937 to replace an earlier bridge swept away by the 1936 flood.
Crown American Building
417 Vine Street
Architect Michael Graves designed the Crown American Building, constructed in 1989. Its classically inspired style draws inspiration from its surrounding brethren.
First Methodist Church
436 Vine Street
Erected in 1911, this rusticated brownstone landmark has a massive 90-foot center tower surrounded by gable and hipped roof pavilions. It sports and Akron style interior, with the entrance in one corner and the pulpit in the opposite. The stained glass windows were produced locally by William Heslop.
First Lutheran Church
415 Vine Street
Constructed in 1920 in the Gothic revival style, the First Lutheran Church presents a skyline of pointed arch windows, a massive corner tower, stained glass windows and stone facing. An earlier lutheran church around the corner on Franklin Street burned in 1918.
TURN RIGHT ON MARKET STREET.
227 Market Street
Built around 1890, this Second Empire style building retains decorative molded lintels, metal “shingle pattern” roofing and bracketed cornice. It also retains its original use pattern, with retail shops n the ground floor and apartments above.
TURN RIGHT ON MAIN STREET AND WALK DOWN THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE STREET.
416 Main Street
Inside this modern building is the facade of a Presbyterian church that was dedicated in 1866. The church survived the flood and served afterwards as one of six temporary morgues set up in the valley. Volunteer undertakers from Pittsburgh and other parts of the state embalmed bodies that were brought to the church. Of the 2,209 total dead, 755 were never identified. In the 1900s the church was converted into a performing center, first the Nemo and later the Embassy. The facade of the old church, including a stained glass window, has been incorporated into the Lincoln Center complex.
CROSS THE STREET AND WALK BACK TOWARDS MARKET STREET.
407 Main Street
Completed in 1920, this Beaux Arts style three-story building was constructed for the Farmers Trust and Mortgage. later, it was used by the Johnstown Savings Bank and the Moxham National Bank.
northeast corner of Main Street and Market Street
Joseph Johns set aside space on all four corners of this intersection for “parklets.” Three remain and only the corner containing City Hall is occupied. Constructed in 1900 to replace an earlier building on this site, the new City Hall held special significance for the community. Here one of the flood’s most beneficial changes to the town took place - the consolidation of many of the valley’s small boroughs into the City of Johnstown. Before the flood, each borough guarded its governing rights but rebuilding together made more sense and so consolidation was voted in on November 6, 1889. The city fathers wanted to be sure that the new City Hall, constructed in 1900 to replace an earlier municipal building on the site, symbolized what they believed was the modern, progressive nature of Johnstown. To that end, Charles Robinson of Altoona designed a Richardsonian Romanesque structure, which at the time was the style of choice in America for monumental civic buildings. Walter Myton served as project architect; he designed at least forty residences in the area, along with as many churches, schools, and stores. A square wooden cupola, rising out of the western end of the roof, contains miniature features found in the larger building, such as false arches with voussoirs and small arched balconies. It also has clock faces on all four sides. Note also the markers on the wall of City Hall, showing high water lines during Johnstown’s three worst floods. Flood control measures were taken after the 1936 disaster, yet in 1977, a “once in 500 years” storm caused a flood resulting in 85 deaths and $200 million in damage. For decades, one of the residents of the parklets around Market and Main streets was Morley’s dog, a statue ]made in the late 1800s by J.W. Fiske Iron Works, a New York City-based maker and retailer of ornamental iron and zinc products. Cambria Iron executive James Morley bought the statue and placed it in his lawn at Main and Walnut, where it stood until being washed away by the floodwaters in the great flood of May 31, 1889. Recovered in the debris pile at the stone bridge, it was returned to Morley. The Morley family kept the statue at various residences throughout the city, including a house on Palliser Street in Southmont. In the 1940s, the statue was donated to the city, and became a beloved icon. It has since been removed in anticipation of needed restoration. Over time people came to believe that Morley was a dog that saved a child during the great flood. There was such a dog, a Newfoundland named Romey who saved three people, but Morley’s Dog has nothing to do with that incident. This misconception was spread further by a reference in the 1977 Paul Newman movie Slap Shot.
336 Main Street
The State was one of the last theaters built in Johnstown, opening on July 4, 1926. It rapidly became known as the “Million Dollar State. Patrons were greeted in the lobby by an elaborate crystal chandelier made up of 62,000 separate pieces of glass and 164 lights. Three kinds of marble were used for the lobby and the sweeping stairway up to the balcony ― cream-colored travertine for the columns, black onyx for the stairway base, and tan tavernelle for the steps. The Wurlitzer theater organ was rumored to have cost $35,000 by itself. The symmetrical, five-bay, Neoclassical design features a façade constructed entirely of glazed terra cotta. Six multi-story Corinthian pilasters grace that facade. The top level of windows features projecting moldings, visually supported by brackets and medallions. Above the top level of windows there is a projecting classical cornice supported by dentils and medallions. The façade is topped by a full, classical, five-bay entablature. The entablature has five panels, and each panel features a swag of acanthus leaves. The panels are separated by engaged pilasters decorated with a medallion.
William Horace Rose House
229 Main Street
William Horace Rose, a prominent Johnstown attorney, was seriously injured in the Johnstown Flood and two of his sons were feared lost - all clinging to wreckage as they floated away. The following day the family was reunited and the only Rose casualty was the loss of their home. This ornate Queen Anne style residence was built to replace it. When all the boroughs consolidated into the new City of Johnstown in 1900, Rose was elected the first Mayor.
Main Street and St. Johns Street
Built after the Johnstown flood of 1889, the Inclined Plane’s original purpose was to connect the Westmont Borough area to the downtown to develop that area residentially. During Johnstown’s two other floods in 1936 and and 1977, the Incline became a lifesaver for people, helping people to escape downtown as well as to ship supplies in the valley. In its heyday, the Incline carried approximately 1,000,000 passengers a year to and from the downtown area. This was largely due to the steel mills that were in operation. As better roads were built in the vicinity of the Incline following World War II, use of the railway declined, and it was closed in 1962. In 1984, the Johnstown Inclined Plane was completely rebuilt at a cost of $3.5 million. Today the Incline welcomes visitors and locals alike, carrying approximately 100,000 passengers a year. The Johnstown Inclined Plane is the steepest vehicular incline in the world, meaning its 30’ cars, which are large enough to hold 65 people, 6 motorcycles, or a vehicle, travel at the steepest grade for cars their size.
TURN RIGHT ON JOHNS STREET.
This wedge-shaped tract of land at the junction of the Stoneycreek and Little Conemaugh Rivers was set aside in 1800 by Johnstown’s founder, Joseph Johns, for the town’s “common and public amusements.” Except for occasional baseball games, the Point was used very little before the 1889 flood. Instead, trash was dumped at the Point, narrowing the river channels and increasing the possibility of flooding. Sections of the river also were filled in by the Cambria Iron Company and the Pennsylvania Railroad to gain more ground for tracks and structures. These encroachments led to frequent minor flooding during Johnstown’s first century. Dumping debris into the river was outlawed in 1883, but the law was not enforced. Even if it had been, many other factors contributed to the threatening flood situation which was becoming more and more severe. The rapid growth of population and industry in the valley led to the deforestation of surrounding mountainsides. Without trees, water released by thaws and storms rushed down the slopes, eroding soil which was carried into the rivers and deposited near the Point. Here, the flow of water through the valley was obstructed. Johnstown suffered seven floods between 1881 and 1889. On May 31, 1889, the Point and the lower end of town already stood in water up to seven feet deep by 1:30 p.m. The main flood wave hit about 4:10 p.m. and wreckage piled up behind the stone railroad bridge, completely covering four acres. It would be the only bridge to survive the flood. Weeks after the flood, when all debris was cleared, earth dug from the cellars and streets of Johnstown was dumped at the Point, thus raising its height five feet. The concrete walls that now line the rivers were the result of a five year flood control program (1938-1943) which cost more than $8 million. Except for the extraordinary flood of 1977, the widened channels and paved river banks have enabled flood waters to move rapidly through the valley without damaging Johnstown, which understandably has been nicknamed “Flood City.” The current Point Stadium baseball field was built in 2005 to replace the original Point Stadium, home of the Johnstown Johnnies, that had hosted minor league baseball here since 1926.
TURN RIGHT ON LOCUST STREET. TURN LEFT ON WALNUT STREET.
Bethlehem Steel Corporate Office
119 Walnut Street, at northeast corner of Locust Street
Built in the 1950s, this modern office building was one of the last projects undertaken by New York City’ most celebrated 19th century architectural firm, McKim, Mead & White. The steel company’s original 1911 office building is behind it at 333 Locust Street.
Johnstown Flood Museum/Cambria Free Library
304 Washington Street, at southeast corner of Walnut Street
Four months after the devastating 1889 flood, Andrew Carnegie journeyed from Pittsburgh to visit the local steelworks and see the ruins of Johnstown. One of the nation’s richest men, he was better known in Johnstown as a member of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club. The club was responsible for the South Fork Dam which gave way and sent 20 million tons of water rushing onto the city of Johnstown and the Conemaugh Valley. This is the site of the former Cambria Library which, along with its librarian, disappeared in the flood waters. Carnegie donated the money to erect a new library on the same site. The French Gothic style library was designed by Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton; it is the oldest public building in downtown Johnstown. It was similar to Johnstown’s first library, which had been financed by the Cambria Iron Company. Like its predecessor, the new Library contained 8,000 standard works and had spacious, comfortable reading rooms. Its large,first floor auditorium was used for town meetings. On the third floor there was a gymnasium which included a large exercise track made of padded leather. The library proper was on the second floor. In 1973,the public library moved to a new building and this structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places became the Johnstown Flood Museum.
TURN RIGHT ON WASHINGTON STREET.
Cambria Iron Company General Office
317 Washington Street
Johnstown, in 1889, was a company town. Some 7,000 men and women worked for Cambria Iron Company and many of them rented one of the 700 company houses throughout the Conemaugh Valley. Groceries and supplies were purchased at the company store and medical attention could be obtained at the company-financed hospital. In addition to being one of the world’s leading steel producers, the company owned thousands of acres of mineral lands, 35 miles of railroad track and some 1,500 railroad cars. The company also held extensive real estate, such as a theater, a company executives’ club, shoe and furniture stores, wire, flour, and woolen mills, and several farms located on surrounding hillsides. This two-building office complex was the business center for the Cambria empire and one of the few structures on this street that survived the 1889 flood. Its two sections, built in 1881 and 1885, reflect the changing popularity in architectural styles. The western section was built first in orderly Palladian symmetry with a hipped roof, stone belt course and stone window surrounds. The eastern section features an asymmetrical massing with large dormers and brownstone detailing designed by prominent Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton.
Penn Traffic Building
319 Washington Street
What began as a modest two-story store operating as Stiles, Allen & Company evolved into Johnstown’s greatest store on this location. During the year of 1865 the store was replaced by a three-story brick structure which was considered the most extensive and best equipped General Merchandise establishment within 100 miles. Operating as Wood, Morrell & Co., it was considered Cambria Iron’s company store. The largest part of the building was destroyed the Great Flood of 1889. A larger, grander building under the auspices of Penn Traffic Company was built but on the night of Aug. 28, 1905, the efforts of years were completely wiped out by a fire which raged from 11 o’clock until the following morning. The current five-story French Renaissance-styled building is attributed to the Buzer Bros. construction firm of Pittsburgh. It features pressed brick walls and semi-glazed white tile details. When it opened it was unsurpassed in beauty and customer comforts by any retail establishment between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. By a unique architectural device, each floor will be so separated as to prevent the spread of fire beyond the confines of a single floor. Additions were made in 1924 and 1949 an the Penn Traffic Building became the largest building in downtown Johnstown, swallowing up an entire block. The Penn Traffic Store closed in 1977 and is now used as an office building and federal court.
Public Safety Building
401 Washington Street
Dating from 1925, the Public Safety Building presents a transition to modern office construction with clean lines and minimal architectural detailing. The ornamentation is limited to bas relief eagles and hard pressed brick walls.
TURN RIGHT ON MARKET STREET.
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
325 Locust Street, at northwest corner of Market Street
Responding to her first major disaster since the founding of the American Red Cross in 1881, Clara Barton arrived in Johnstown on June 5, 1889, accompanied by fifty doctors and nurses. At age 67, Miss Barton worked tirelessly for the relief of the valley’s survivors. The Red Cross directly served over 25,000 victims of the Johnstown Flood in its first real test for disaster relief. Here, where St. Mark’s Episcopal Church now stands, the Red Cross built a hotel for “the wealthy, the elegant, the cultured leaders of society, and the fathers of the town.” After finding many of these men homeless and working long hours in the mud and rain to help in the grueling clean-up, Miss Barton reasoned: “As the salvation of the town depended in great measure upon the efforts of these men, it was vitally necessary that their lives should be preserved . . .” A previous St. Mark’s Episcopal Church had stood here until it and its pastor were swept away by the flood. The “Locust Street Red Cross Hotel” was constructed in fast order. On the outside, the hotel looked much like the large Red Cross warehouse only fifty yards away, but on the inside it was homelike and comfortable. It had hot and cold running water, gas heat, and furnishings donated by companies from far and near. The Red Cross relief effort continued in the valley another two months. Clothing, medicine, furniture, and domestic supplies were freely distributed to all flood refugees. The stone Gothic Revival St. Mark’s Church was erected in 1891 and features a corner steeple, pointed arch openings throughout and battlement-type windows. The bell is among several relics salvaged from the original church.
Old Johnstown Post Office
131 Market Street, at southeast corner of Locust Street
Designed by James Knox Taylor, the 1912 building incorporates a Classical Revival design. The terra cotta temple is lined by simple Doric columns, full Classical entablature and four brass plaques representing the seal of the President, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania , the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Postal Department.
TURN LEFT ON LOCUST STREET.
414 Locust Street
This eight-story apartment building with terra cotta classical details such as keystones, cornice and storefront pilasters was designed by Johnstown architect Walter Myton in 1913.
132 Gazebo Place, at southwest corner of Locust Street
The Grand Army of the Republic chapter, which once had more than 300 members, constructed this building in 1893. It features Romanesque details including heavy stone arches and carved stone sculptures of military icons: cannon, artillery and swords.
425 Locust Street
The Tribune-Democrat moved here from Franklin Street in 1919. An annex to the classically-inspired building was constructed around 1940.
435-449 Locust Street, at northwest corner of Franklin Street
The oldest department store building remaining in Johnstown, the Ellis Building was constructed in 1905 in the Romanesque style. Louis Glosser established a tailor shop on the first floor in 1906. it is distinguished by a brick colonnade at the roofline, rounded windows, decorative arches, decorative brickwork, pilasters and projecting bay windows. The 1931 Art Deco addition features vertically aligned window bays and glazed terra cotta incorporating shell and plant motifs.
First Methodist Episcopal Church
131 Franklin Street, at southeast corner of Locust Street
This is the only surviving downtown church that predates the Johnstown Flood. It is famous for having split the flood wave, allowing several buildings on Main Street to avoid a direct smash. The Reverend Henry L. Chapman, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1889, was preparing his Sunday sermon when a B &O Railroad car floated by in front of the parsonage. He rushed his family to the attic. From the attic windows they watched as the row of frame houses down the street was whisked away by the flood waters. “Pale,frightened, and awestricken,” they waited through the long night, “expecting each moment to be swept away. ”The Chapman family survived mainly because their house stood close to the massive sandstone church, which took the brunt of the flood without a crack in its walls although water broke through the windows and poured into the sanctuary some 18 feet deep, causing the floor to cave in, ruining the plaster, and destroying the choir gallery and numerous pews. Built in the Gothic Revival style, its design is credited to mill designer and inventor George Fritz. Constructed in 1869, the stone church has a steeply pitched roof, an 80-foot tall corner spire, pointed arch window and door openings, buttresses, and rose windows.
Johnstown Post Office
111 Franklin Street, at northeast corner of Locust Street
This is a notable 1938 Art Moderne design by Lorimer Rich and still serves as the town post office today. It features a smooth black stone facade, vertical window bays, and iron window frames. The stylized eagle sculpture was a New Deal art project of the Franklin Roosevelt administration.
St. John Gualbert Cathedral
117 Clinton Street, at northeast corner of Locust Street
Johnstown’s most ornate church appeared on the streetscape in 1896. It combines pressed brick, brownstone and rough-faced terra cotta. Distinctive ornamentation includes a wheel window, stained glass windows and a huge corner bell tower. Patterned after St. mark’s in Venice, Italy, the church is one of the first examples of the use of structural steel in an ecclesiastical building.
The original St. John’s Church burned during the 1889 Flood. The riling waters overturned dozens of houses that had coal stoves in their kitchens and one crashed into the church with enough smoldering embers to ignite the structure above the waterline.
TURN RIGHT ON CLINTON STREET.
Coney Island Lunch
127 Clinton Street
Coney Island was founded in 1916 and has been operated by four generations of the Contacos family.
139 Clinton Street
Built in 1892 by John Widmann, it was originally a grocery. The handsome Romanesque style building includes a rough sandstone exterior, buff and pink sandstone pillars, keystones and stone belt courses.
605 Main Street, at northeast corner of Clinton Street
The seven-story Carnegie Building was originally the Title Trust and Guarantee Building. This prominent downtown office building has a stone veneer on the first floor and a huge metal bracketed cornice.
TURN RIGHT ON MAIN STREET.
542-544 Main Street
This three-story Romanesque-style building, constructed in 1893, is distinguished by its highly detailed brickwork, round arches, decorative tiles, and the blind arcade at the cornice level.
538 Main Street
This building, constructed by Gottlieb Bantley, wasn’t even a year old when it as battered by flood water. Some of the tightly-packed commercial buildings on Main Street were able to withstand the force of the water thanks to their accumulated bulk. Here it appears two-thirds of the building survived. The Bantley Building features decorative brickwork and stone lintels and sills.
Johnstown Bank & Trust Company
534 Main Street
This ten-story bank and office building was built in 1915. The building was designed in the Classical Revival style with pilasters and cartouches decorating the top floor; first floor Colonial Revival details were later additions.
Woolf & Reynolds Building
526 Main Street
The “Home of Good Clothes,” Woolf & Reynolds, opened here in 1908. The popular men’s clothing store has a molded metal facade with Classical Revival decorative features and large Chicago style windows.
525 Main Street
The Miller-Zimmerman Block was built in 1890 to house a tailor and menswear shop for Miller and studio space for Zimmerman, a photographer. Note the original, ornate metal cornice.
523 Main Street
Built in 1883, the former Stenger Dry Goods Store features brick corbelling, pilasters and an elaborate metal cornice.
J.T. Kelly Building
502 Main Street
Built in 1913, this narrow, three-story building was originally a small restaurant. Built in the Romanesque style, it features rusticate stonework, small marble columns and stained glass windows.
500 Main Street
This Italianate style commercial building was constructed in 1889. It was started by David Dibert, who perished in the Johnstown Flood, and completed by his son, Scott. It features arches at the third and fourth floors, arched windows, incised brickwork, tapestry brickwork, a corner turret, and an intact cast-iron cornice.
YOU HAVE NOW RETURNED TO THE TOUR STARTING POINT AT CENTRAL PARK.