Williamsport for decades was an unremarkable crossroads community of less than 2,000 people, a stop along the Pennsylvania Canal and a marketing destination for the numerous small farms of the area. In 1847, the potential for the logging business took a great leap forward with the establishment of the first “Log Boom” in the Susquehanna River. The west branch of the river from Linden to Halls Station was referred to as the “Long Reach,” which was an area of almost no fall in the elevation of the riverbed. This provided an ideal point to locate a log boom, which was a series of river piers with heavy chains strung between them used to catch the slow moving logs as they came down the river. This fostered the development of an entire series of related lumber processing sites in Williamsport that included log cribs and ponds, sawmills, storage and rail yards.
The impact on the town was dynamic; between 1860 and 1870, six major railroad lines arrived and the population tripled. By 1886, there were 28,000 inhabitants of the city. Williamsport, with 29 sawmills, became known as the lumber capital of the world. Its great mills, strategically located on the Susquehanna River, were supplied by the log boom that stretched seven miles along the river front and was credited with a holding capacity of over 250 million board feet of lumber or nearly two million logs.
It was on this wooden foundation that fortunes were made. Williamsport was said to have had more millionaires than any place in America for a time. The lumber barons built spectacular homes, first along East Third Street and then migrating to West Fourth Street, which remained a fashionable neighborhood well into the 1900s before numerous demolitions and commercial development nearly erased all vestiges of its one-time splendor.
In 1889, the Susquehanna River swelled over its banks and caused considerable damage to the lumber facilities located in the city. This, coupled with the declining timber resources, signaled an end to the traditional economic base, although the lumber business remained until the early 1900s.
Our walking tour will begin just east of Millionaires Row, as West Fourth Street came to be know, and explore the downtown area before reversing course and seeing what traces remain of some of Pennsylvania's greatest fortunes...
245 West Fourth Street
Originally built as a U.S. Post Office and Federal Building, construction began in 1888 according to the design by William A. Ferret in the Richardsonian Romanesque style with semicircular windows and entryways, squat stone columns, and gargoyles. Ferret also designed at least two other public buildings now on the National Register of Historic Places.
252 West Fourth Street
Originally built for the Williamsport Sun, an afternoon daily established in 1870 by Levi Tate, the corner building was erected in the early 1900s and the old press building at the rear in 1926. Another paper, started by William F. Buyers in 1801, was the Lycoming Gazette. In the 1860s, the Gazette merged with the West Branch Bulletin to become the Gazette and Bulletin, an afternoon daily. In 1955 the Sun merged with the Gazette and Bulletin, creating the Sun-Gazette. Based on this lineage, the Sun-Gazette is the twelfth oldest newspaper in the nation and the fourth oldest in Pennsylvania. Art Deco terra-cotta sculptures add color and interest to the façade.
Williamsport Municipal Water Authority Business Office
253 West Fourth Street
This is one of several flatiron buildings built in the city to make full use of wedge-shaped tracts of land, all squat emulations of New York City’s iconic twenty-story Flatiron Building. The blocked-off garage doors and plate-glass windows betray the building’s origins as an auto dealership.
WALK SOUTH DOWN WEST STREET ALONG THE MUNICIPAL WATER BUILDING. TURN LEFT ON WEST THIRD STREET.
The Grit Building
200-222 West Third Street
The Grit began in 1882 as a Saturday afternoon supplement to the Daily Sun and Banner. Printer Dietrick Lamade bought out his partner in 1884 and turned the Grit into an independent Sunday newspaper that grew to become known as “American’s greatest family newspaper.” Avoiding the “yellow journalism” of post-Civil War newspapers and instead, catering to the rising Victorian middle class, the newspaper focused on the goals and values of a family-oriented audience. The paper remained in the Lamade family until it was sold and relocated to Topeka, Kansas, in 1992. The original building from 1892 on the corner was renovated for re-use. With its rounded arches, deep window and door reveals, and contrasting bands of colors, the building’s façade reflects the uniquely American Romanesque Revival style of architect H.H. Richardson.
The Old Jail
154 West Third Street
On the northeast corner stands the second Lycoming County Jail, built after fire destroyed the original structure that had served the county since 1799. Impressive for its day, the 1868 jail, designed by York architect Edward Haviland, could, if need be, hold as many as 138 prisoners. Hangings took place in the courtyard until 1914 when the gallows were removed and burned. The Old Jail shows the 19th century fondness for medieval architectural styles, though its original Norman-inspired battlements and tower have been removed. In 2001, the Old Jail was converted into The Cell Block, a club with live music in “The Gallows.”
A.H. Heilman Company Building
101 West Third Street
In the 1990s, the removal of corrugated siding covering the front of this building, including the windows, revealed this attractive building designed by T.J. Litzelman in 1912. Heilman specialized in fine rugs and carpets and, before its 1929 closing, outfitted some of the grandest homes and hotels in the Northeast. The building subsequently housed a furniture company, then a dry goods firm, and then the Carroll House, a department store, which closed in 1977, following the movement of many downtown businesses to suburban malls.
First National Bank Building
21-25 West Third Street
This was Williamsport’s tallest commercial building when it was erected in honor of the bank’s fiftieth anniversary. On opening day of Williamsport’s first “skyscraper” in 1913 citizens had an opportunity to ride up the elevator for their first aerial views of the city.
The Hart Building
26-30 West Third Street
The Hart Brothers ran a successful men’s clothing store on this spot in the late 19th century. They hired Amos Wagner (an architect who designed two homes and Annunciation Church on Millionaires’ Row) in 1895 to design this existing Hart Building for commercial trade. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Charles C. Mussina Building
18 West Third Street
Jacob Mussina, a 23-year old trained watchmaker, opened a jewelry store in 1830. He was responsible for keeping the courthouse clock in working order. Mussina became adept with new technologies, becoming Williamsport’s first telegraph operator in 1851 with machinery he installed in his store. In 1858, he built a new store on the northeast corner of Market Square. After he retired in the 1870s, his son Sylvester took over the store and another son, Charles C. Mussina, built his own store on the northwest corner of the square. The exterior of the Charles C. Mussina building was restored in 2003. The Mussina family has remained in the area over the generations; today the best-known member of the family, Mike Mussina, was a star pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles and New York Yankees before retiring in 2008.
The Ulman Opera House
2 East Third Street
This 1867 cultural landmark was built in the imposing Second Empire style popular during the second half of the nineteenth century. On New Year’s Eve of 1869, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) appeared here to promote his most recent book, The Innocents Abroad. Among other popular entertainments presented here was Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show. Still-life artist Severin Roesen had a studio in this building, and artist George Luks, one of the Ashcan Eight, was born in a building across the street.
33 East Third Street
The first Moose Lodge on this site was a former doctor’s office purchased by the group in 1917 and destroyed by fire in 1939. After the Moose Lodge moved to South Williamsport in the 1990s three partners purchased the building, renovated it to emphasize its Art Deco features, and turned it into an upscale restaurant. The “33” medallion on the façade covers the original bas-relief sculpture of a moose.
First Presbyterian Church
102 East Third Street
The First Presbyterian Church houses what may be one of the unluckiest congregations in the area. The original structure, built in 1842 on the northwest corner of Market and Willow Streets, was destroyed by fire in 1849. A second church, built in 1849, burned down in 1859 and was replaced by a third structure that parishioners used until 1884 when the congregation decided to build the present church, which has remained intact at this location. Built for a congregation of prominent Victorians, the church’s polychromatic exterior and pointed arches show their taste for Victorian Gothic.
TURN LEFT AND WALK NORTH ON MULBERRY STREET.
The Gamble-Reighard Residence
330 Mulberry Street
This 1875 house was the first of Mary White’s wedding-gift houses; when she remarried after the death of her first husband, her new spouse built her a home on Millionaires’ Row (835 W. 4th St.). Mary’s first husband was Judge Gamble’s son, James M. Gamble, Jr. During his short life – he died at age 44 – he served as president of the Williamsport Water Company, director of the Bald Eagle Valley Railroad Co., and director of the Lycoming National Bank. In 1889, another one of Judge Gamble’s children, Elizabeth, moved into the house with her husband, Oliver H. Reighard, a Williamsport native and lawyer. With its slender proportions and flat, gently pitched roof with wide eaves and brackets, the house presents trademarks of the Italian Villa style. The porches and cupola of the original house have been removed, and the house has undergone many changes since its “unwrapping” as a young bride’s wedding gift.
Judge James Gamble House
106 East Fourth Street; southeast corner of Mulberry Street
This 1869 Greek Revival residence built by prominent Williamsport resident Judge Gamble displays later additions of Victorian trim. Born on a homestead farm near Jersey Shore, Judge Gamble enjoyed a successful career as a Congressman and as an attorney, moving to Williamsport in 1868 to serve as president judge of Lycoming County. Judge Gamble presided over the controversial “Sawdust War” trial that followed a 22-day lumber mill strike during the summer of 1872. Striking workers hoped to reduce their workday from more than twelve hours to ten for the same amount of pay. Twenty-seven men were arrested during strike-related riots. Judge Gamble convicted 21 men to terms in the county jail and four leaders to one-year terms in the federal penitentiary. In response to a petition signed by community citizens, the Governor pardoned the men two days later and none served time.
Christ Episcopal Church
426 Mulberry Street
Founded in 1840, the Christ Church congregation held its first service in this building in 1869. Both the interior and the exterior are excellently crafted with hand-carved woodwork and stained glass windows by Tiffany and Lamb. The church’s Reverend Dr. John Henry Hopkins, Jr., who served as rector from 1876 to 1887, penned the words and music of the famous Christmas carol, “We Three Kings of Orient Are.” The stumpy – but interesting – church steeple may not be a peaked European-style Gothic steeple, but the polychromatic details mark this magnificent edifice as a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture.
TURN LEFT AND WALK WEST ON EAST FOURTH STREET.
36 East Fourth Street
The Williamsport Chapter of the Elks moved from their Victorian home on West Third Street to this building, which they occupied until 1971. Finished in 1927, it seems to have been Williamsport’s last major building project to be completed before the beginning of the Great Depression. With the conversion or destruction of the major theaters in town, the Elks auditorium provided the city’s largest space dedicated to live performances in the 1930s.
The William Howard Memorial Masonic Temple and Acacia Club
southeast corner of East Fourth Street and Market Street
This group of interconnected structures extends across a quarter of a block south of the Brown Library. The Masonic Temple, which faces Market Street, was built in 1898. A prominent Mason, William Howard, born in Yorkshire, England moved to Williamsport in 1854 and became a successful lumberman. His will provided for the Howard Memorial Cathedral, facing East Fourth Street, which was built in 1901. The Acacia Club, built in 1910, is frequently booked for weddings and other receptions.
James V. Brown Library
19 East Fourth Street
The James V. Brown Library was a bequest to the city from lumber baron and philanthropist James Van Duzee Brown who died on December 8, 1904, at age 78. Already a widower with no children, Brown had dreamt for years of giving Williamsport a free, public library. James V. Brown came from a large family in New York state, and was a descendant of the family that founded Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Arriving in Williamsport in 1859, he worked in the printing and flour mill trades, then went into lumbering where he made his fortune as a partner in the Brown, Early & Company Lumber Mill. As president of the Williamsport Water Company he masterminded the development of the city’s water system. He was also president of the Citizen Gas Company, an original stockholder of the Market Street Bridge (it was a privately owned toll bridge), a controlling stockholder of the Gazette Bulletin newspaper, the Central PA Telephone Company, and organizer of First National Bank. Designed by architect Edgar V. Seeler and built on the site of James’ brother Henry’s residence, the library opened its doors to the public on June 17, 1907. Seeler studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, bringing theclassical detail of the popular style to the library.
TURN RIGHT ON MARKET STREET.
433-445 Market Street
These structures may have been among the earliest brick buildings to be built in downtown. Their symmetrical design, with matching chimneys at either end, smooth brick facades, and lintel-type window heads are typical features of the Federal style. These sites have been occupied at least since 1866, when the first city directories were published. In the 1880s several doctors had their offices here, including one of the region’s first women physicians, Dr. Phoebe H.F. Hagenbuch. Number 445, which has modern brick facing, housed a German-owned bakery from about 1910 into the 1930s. After a hiatus when it served as a real estate office and barber shop, it became Joanna’s Italian Bakery.
TURN LEFT ON EDWIN STREET. TURN LEFT ON PINE STREET.
470 Pine Street
The Rialto was the most expensive movie theater in town and boasted the city’s largest outdoor sign on its southern side when it opened in 1927. The architecture is a pastiche of Neoclassical Revival early Art Deco styles. In the late nineteenth century Miss Wilson’s Private School for Young Ladies and children stood on the site.
Old City Hall
454 Pine Street
A signature piece of architect Eber Culver, the Old City Hall is located on the former site of the Ross Park Cemetery that was sadly neglected on the northwestern edge of the Victorian business district. During a tour promoting his new book, Mark Twain spotted it, and, disgusted by its neglect, wrote a newspaper article entitled, “Remarkable Dream,” which records the thoughts of a disgruntled resident of the cemetery, though Twain omitted Williamsport’s name. The remains in the cemetery were later moved. This beautiful Victorian Romanesque building is a fine example of 19th century taste. The statue in front is the Sailors and Soldiers Monument erected as a tribute to the men who served in the Civil War.
southeast corner of West Fourth Street and Pine Street
Daniel Updegraff (brother of abolitionist Abraham) built this hotel in 1892, the largest of its day in the city, on the site of the old Hepburn Inn, where abolitionist Fredrick Douglass spoke in the 1870s. The old structure may have provided temporary shelter to runaway slaves before the Civil War. The Updegraff family eventually sold the building which became the Ross Hotel. The hotel is now the Center City Building, but its distinctively Second Empire-style façade and gabled roof remain.
TURN RIGHT AND WALK WEST ON WEST FOURTH STREET.
West Branch Bank Building
102 West Fourth Street
With its Corinthian columns, monumental arched windows and entrances, and marble façade, this 1917 building is a fine local example of Beaux-Arts classicism. The building’s original dome is gone, and the demolition of the J.C. Penney store to make room for a parking lot left the brick wall exposed on the western side of the building. The bank’s president, Abraham Updegraff, was a prominent abolitionist active in the Underground Railroad.
The Genetti Hotel
200 West Fourth Street
The Lycoming Hotel, as it was originally known, held an opening ball for invited dignitaries, including a Pullman car full of guests from New York City, on June 21, 1922, just one of a three-day slate of activities to celebrate the completion of the most modern hotel in Pennsylvania. The hotel was built as a community project through the efforts of the Williamsport Board of Trade, which hired New York architect William Lee Stoddart, who went on to design hotels in North Carolina and Virginia that are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Community Arts Center
220 West Fourth Street
The Capitol Theatre, the grandest movie theater of its day, was built on the site of the historic Sterling Hotel, damaged by a 1924 fire. The first local theater to be equipped for “talkies,” it opened with The Singing Fool starring Al Jolson, accompanied by a visiting organist. It went through several owners and closings for the next few decades and finally closed for good as a movie theater in 1990. After restoration efforts, a new five-story structure replaced the outer lobby. The post-modern, two-toned brick façade blends in with the older buildings on the street, while the bold marquee is a modern interpretation of the streamlined Art Deco style of the theater’s original era.
CONTINUE WALKING PAST THE TOUR START ONTO MILLIONAIRES’ ROW THAT BEGINS ON WEST FOURTH STREET ACROSS HEPBURN STREET.
A.D. Hermance House
405 West Fourth Street
The Hermance House, designed in a Romanesque style, is constructed of gray limestone with a red slate roof. It was built in 1885 for industrialist Albert Hermance, who made his fortune on manufacturing woodworking machinery at the Rowley and Hermance Machine Company.
Peter Herdic House
407 West Fourth Street
Peter Herdic’s classic Italianate home is constructed of brick and covered with stucco. The highly unique porch columns are executed with Lotus Petal motifs. This is the earliest surviving residence from the lumber era, built in 1855. Herdic himself was one of the premier influences on West Fourth Street and Williamsport in general. Along with his architect, Eber Culver, Herdic was responsible for such structures as the A. D. Hermance House, the Weightman Block, and the “Herdic House” located at the intersection of Campbell and Fourth Streets, which is considered the center of the district. The Herdic House (now known as the Park Home) was a four-story, brick, Italianate Hotel that served the well-to-do guests of Williamsport. Directly behind the hotel was the Pennsylvania Railroad Station, which Herdic was able to locate there in order to service his hotel and restaurant.
Lemuel Ulman House/Peter Herdic Inn
411 West Fourth Street
Moses Ulman’s Sons was a clothier and hatter operating on West Third Street. This was the home of Lemuel, who worked in the family business. Now a bed and breakfast, the house contains many original gas light fixtures.
Church of the Covenant
436 West Fourth Street
Originally Church of the Covenant when it was built in 1893 and more recently St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower, and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in northcentral Pennsylvania. Note the arched entryway with decorative insets.
Lewis Jameson House
508 West Fourth Street
Built for lumberman Lewis Jameson in 1875, this rambling clapboard house is in the Stick Style with Gothic and Queen Anne influences. Look for multiple window shapes - arched, flat and round. It once sported a cupola and tower extension; both have been removed.
J.N. Kline House
519 West Fourth Street
This Neoclassical home with prominent two-story portico fronted by fluted Ionic columns was built for hardware dealer J.N. Kline in 1910. There are pilasters at the entry, door sidelights and an overhead transom.
Hiram Rhoads House
522 West Fourth Street
The Queen Anne-style mansion of Hiram Rhoads is one of the best preserved homes in the district. Eber Culver designed it in 1888 with bejeweled windows, gilded bronze door hardware and magnificent woods of cherry, pecan and mahogany. Among the many features are front doors with unusual stained glass design, hallway and staircase of hand-carved mahogany, five fireplaces, upstairs bathtub encased in mahogany, solid pecan floor in the living room, and the most magnificent chandeliers in Williamsport. In 1878 Rhoads led a team of investors to bring the first telephone exchange to Williamsport and only the second in the Commonwealth (behind Erie). He made a fortune in the telephone and transportation industries but died only six years after this house was built.
525 West Fourth Street
This vibrant Italianate Victorian was designed in 1870 by Eber Culver. Features of the style include a low-pitched roof with overhanging eaves, large brackets, corner quoins, a central tower and decorative panels on the cornice.
535 West Fourth Street
Another Eber Culver design, this time a Queen Anne built in 1888. The corner turret is covered in fish-scale siding. The hefty red stone lentils over the doors and windows and a similar stone belt course stand out. William V. Emery was a lumberman who started out in the mercantile grocery trade.
Walter Bowman House
619 West Fourth Street
This Queen Anne style house has a wrap-around porch, columns and pedimented front. Notable in the 1894 house is a multi-gabled roof with soaring chimneys and dormers highlighted by fish-scale trim. The gables are stucco and wood. the protruding bay on the northeast is topped with a battlement. There is a carriage porch on the east side and a carriage house in the rear. Bowman was an influential lumber mill owner and champion of professional baseball in Williamsport; Bowman Field, the second oldest field in the minor leagues, is named for him.
634 West Fourth Street
The largest Second Empire home in the district is from Philadelphia architect Isaac Hobbs. Look for the large brackets, heavy detail, and flared mansard roof. Henry B. Smith was a Maine native who made his Williamsport fortune in lumber; later it was home to the Moses Ulman family.
700 West Fourth Street
Built in 1886, this church has 43 arched stained-glass windows. The center tower was capped and construction of a planned spire stopped when three builders fell to their deaths. The interior has marble altars and Tiffany windows. Designed in the Romanesque style by Amos Wagner on land donated by Peter Herdic, the local Irish community used Ralston Quarry sandstone to build this church.
707 West Fourth Street
This spectacular 1888 Queen Anne house of E. A. Rowley still sports its original design and the interior has had its marble fireplaces, stained glass and woodwork well maintained. Architect Eber Culver used carved wood gables, protruding corner bay, projecting dormer and massive turned porch posts. The roof has patterned slates, metal ridge caps, tall, decorative chimneys and large overhanging eaves. Opened to the public as a Victorian House Museum in 2007, the cherry and oak woodwork is in excellent condition, and the electric light fixtures are extremely rare.
Elias Deemer House
711 West Fourth Street
Another Eber Culver creation in the Queen Anne style, this 1880 home displays large wrap-around porches, delicate spindlework, a gabled roof with a bay and wood panels and roof dormer. The brick contains subtle patterns and chimneys are tall and decorative.
Addison Candor House
741 West Fourth Street
There is a clipped roof gable on the west side of this 1888 brick home built for lawyer Addison Candor. The roof dormers have contrasting gable styles: Gothic, Stick and Italianate. The patterned brick heads feature a dark belt in the wall courses.
Herdic/Weightman Opera Block
754-770 West Fourth Street
In 1871 Peter Herdic hired Eber Culver to design this commercial block in the Italian style with arched window heads, bracketed cornice roof, patterned brick between floors and decorative stone on the first floor. Each floor has a different style window lentil. Built without steel beams, it has 16-inch thick plaster walls and 18-foot high ceilings. After Herdic went bankrupt the project was taken over by Weightman.
Heredic House Hotel
800 West Fourth Street
This brick Italianate Railroad Hotel once had four stories and rooms for 700 guests. The top two stories have been removed since its salad days. The hotel has massive paired brackets supporting the eaves, decorative carved, arched lentils and brick quoins. The Eber Culver creation was saved from demolition in 2001.
Covenant Central Church
807 West Fourth Street
This stone building with red tile roof was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style in 1906. The many arched, stained glass windows are accompanied by thick window lentils. The large, semicircular arched entries and three doors are topped with stained glass fanlights.
829 West Fourth Street
In the 1880s a 20-year old house was reborn in the Queen Anne style with large porch and multi-gabled slate roof. The hand-carved cherry front door has leaded sidelights. The roof dormers have fish-scale siding and mullioned windows.
835 West Fourth Street
This house was an 1889 wedding gift for Mary White Gamble Emery. The exterior walls are rock-faced course Ashlar. The building has a tower and deep-set windows. Look for stained glass fanlights, arched windows with stone lentils and gabled roof with a stepped front.
Trinity Episcopal Church
844 West Fourth Street
Built in 1875 with stone from the Bald Eagle Mountain at Muncy and brownstone from Hummelstown, it has the first nine bell Westminster chimes in America and a mural by Westly Little. The church was paid for by Peter Herdic and given to Trinity Parish for one dollar as long as the pews remain “forever free.” Note the pointed arches and windows, steeply pitched colored slate roof and 265-foot spire.
870 West Fourth Street
Many building materials are used at this home; brick on the first floor, tile on the second and wooden fish scales on the gables. It has a multi-gabled slate roof, ornamented chimneys and a protruding bay on the southeast corner. The porch on the 1880 house was pulled off and the current one is not original.
878 West Fourth Street
This stylish Second Empire house was built in 1865 by Peter Herdic and sold to his accountant. Mr. LeVan was the 3rd owner. Elements of the Second Empire style include deep cove moldings and center medallions in the interior with double front doors with etched glass It retains the original stucco.
901 West Fourth Street
Designed in 1890 by Amos Wagner and built for Henry Johnson, a state legislator from Muncy. Johnson moved to the city to help his six daughters find suitable husbands among the wealthy men of Williamsport. This home represents the Queen Anne style of architecture. The Johnsons were so pleased with Wagner’s work they had him build a similar home next door on Maynard Street for one of their daughters.
912 West Fourth Street
This Colonial Revival mansion is one of the last built on Millionaires Row, having been erected in 1907. The brick is laid in Flemish bond. The four imposing Ionic columns are 74 inches at the base and 18 feet high. The 15-foot entrance has sidelights and a transom. The Dutch-inspired gambrel roof has slate with wood shingle roof dormers and a protruding two-story bay on the west side.
915 West Fourth Street
This house was another wedding gift. Eber Culver got the commission from the parents of Lucy Eutermarks in the early 1870s and delivered this Italianate design. The house was originally assigned 913 West Fourth Street, but the bride’s parents, thinking this was unlucky, had the house number changed to 915. The brick mansion has been pared down over the years, surrendering a cupola and an extensive porch.
949/951 West Fourth Street
When built in 1865 this 50-room brick mansion was designed in the French Second Empire style with a mansard roof. A third story and a Queen Anne roof were added after a fire in 1885. It has arched windows with Italianate lentils, multiple gables with red tile cresting and decorative wood, dormers and a second floor cornice. The stained glass windows feature portraits of Mozart and Milton.
942-944 West Fourth Street
To attract families to West Fourth Street, Peter Herdic built many double houses; this is from 1875. The double houses typically had a mansard roof and protruding central bay with a cupola on top. This home has stone corner quoins and decorative chimneys. The west side has arched windows, the east side has rectangular windows. The front porch trims differ now but once were mirror images of one another.
TURN AROUND AND WALK BACK DOWN WEST FOURTH STREET TO THE TOUR STARTING POINT.